Copyright Wambrook Parish church 2018
Just comprising a chancel, nave and tower, with a vestry on north side of the chancel. The entrance is
now from the west through the tower. Two former porches south and north of the nave have respectively
been converted into a small chapel and a ‘font’ alcove. Basically mediaeval with extensive Victorian
1). White marble Tablet on south wall. “In memory of/ Charles EDWARDS, of Chard, in the county of/
Somerset, esqr: eldest son of Charles Edwards/ of Exeter, who was surviving son and/ heir of/ Henry
Edwards, Vicar of Chard, the son of/ Zachary Edwards, of Oxford, apothecary/ by Abigail, his wife/ Mr:
Edwards practiced as an attorney at law/ at Chard aforesaid upwards of 30 years/ the greater part of
which period he was/ Dy: Clerk of the Peace for the said county of/ Somerset. He became Patron of this
living in/ the year 1796 and rebuilt the Rectory house/ from ruins about the year 1808/ His remains lie
interred near this/ monument, erected by his widow and family/ in grateful remembrance of him/ Obt:
12 th . April 1813, aet: 32”.
2). White on black marble Tablet on north wall. Revd: Henry EDWARDS, MA., JP., Rector of
Churchstanton, Devon 1846 – 1881, of Wambrook, 1850 – 1881, of Uplyme, Devon and Rural Dean of
Dunkeswell 1881 – 1883, and of Burslem, diocese of Lichfield, 1886 – 1903, died 21 Nov 1903, in his
85 th. year.
3). White on black marble Tablet on north wall. “A tribute of affection/ to the memory of/ Mary Ann,
wife of Henry EDWARDS/ Rector of this parish/ and daughter of/ Samuel and Ann HOLE, of Topsham/
She died Feby: 8 th . 1821, aged 23”
(on south wall there is a Royal coat of arms, for Queen Anne, 1703, and a framed list of Rectors of
Wambrook – names not recorded)
4). WAR MEMORIAL in the form of a stone Tablet on north wall. 1914 - 1919: Ambrose MITCHEM,
DCM., L/Cpl: Glos: Rgt: 1939 – 1945: Walter John LARCOMBE, Pte: RAVC; Walter Frank PIDGEON,
5). White on black marble Tablet on north wall. Miss Mary BEVISS, second daughter of John and
Dinah Beviss, late of this parish, died 26 Jan 1867, aged 60. Erected by her brother and sisters.
6). White on black marble Tablet on north wall. Emma, wife of Thomas HUSSEY, of Martock, and
youngest daughter of John and Dinah BEVISS, died 16 Sept 1905, aged 78. And her husband, Thomas
Hussey, died 16 Dec 1911, aged 87. Also her sister, Ann Beviss, died 27 March 1888, aged 83.
7). White on black marble Tablet on north wall. Benjamin, third son of John and Dinah BEVISS, late of
this parish, died 20 Dec 1863, aged 46. Erected by his sisters, Ann and Mary Beviss.
8). White on black marble Tablet on north wall. Bertha, fourth daughter of John and Dinah BEVISS,
and wife of Thomas POPE, who is son of Harriet Pope, died 20 March 1920, aged 60. And Thomas
Pope, died 24 Sept 1938, aged 85.
9). White on black marble Tablet on north wall. John BEVISS, of this parish, died 18 March 1840,
aged 66. And his wife, Dinah Beviss, died 22 March 1856, aged 77. Also his son, Thomas Beviss, died
28 March 1842, aged 23.
10). Wooden Plaque on north wall. Heating system was installed in the church in 1962 by Richard
Frederick Palmer EAMES, of Cotley, in memory of his parents, Richard Bowerman Eames and Agnes
Elsie Eames, of Oren.
11). Small brass Plate on handrail on steps up into the chancel. Erected in 1983 in memory of Minnie
Kate DENSLOW, 1883 – 1969.
12). Small brass plate on the organ. Organ installed 14 Aug 1994 in memory of Stuart Sydney Brooke
BALL and Moyra Anne LUTHER.
South Porch (now a chapel)
13a). Stone Plaque on east wall. “This porch was converted into a chapel in loving memory of Captain
Cecil Campbell HARDY, DSO., Royal Navy, 1900 – 1963”.
The Medleycott Report Page 3 of 7. (2002).
|How to find us|
|National Fees tables 2018|
|Wardens Report 18 page 1 of 3.|
|Roll F A Q|
|Local Funeral Fees|
|Local Wedding Fees|
|Wardens Report 18 page 2 of 3.|
|Wardens Report 18 page 3 of 3.|